The reducing poverty rate from 42% in 2000 to 25% in 2012 and increasing middle-class population has resulted in higher income for the people and also increase in urbanization. This increase in the retail market is compounding the growth of the economy of this region causing the active and intelligent packaging market to grow rapidly.
The Latin America active and intelligent packaging market is estimated to grow from USD 0.96 billion in 2016 to USD 2.56 billion by the end of 2021 at a CAGR of 17.79%. This rapid growth is attributed to the growing economies of the Latin American countries along with the increasing awareness among consumers.
Traditional packaging products cannot meet the requirements of food products such as meat and other frozen foods. These constraints have given rise to new technologies like active and intelligent packaging which promote longevity and freshness in the food products being consumed. Traditionally, these countries have had conservative habits like home cooked food and consuming fresh produce, however altering lifestyle of people has resulted in the shift from home cooked to ready-to-eat products. Increasing consumer awareness on issues like food safety and hygiene are the core drivers in the Latin American region and are expected to spur high growth in the coming years.
Packaging also plays a very important role in tackling the issue of counterfeiting, the advent of intelligent packing with the integration of technologies like radio frequency identification tags and near field communication devices has enabled manufacturing firms to keep track of their shipments and prevent any attempts to sabotage or counterfeit the products.
The major problem with this market is the striking socio-economic difference across various countries. The regions close to the urban areas have high GDP per capita which is very much different from the other regions. Also, Brazil, Mexico and Argentina are the major driving force of the region and the other countries are still not the major drivers in terms of economy and FDI. With this region getting a lot of investment and support from countries like the USA, the economic situation will improve and create more economic hubs across the region.
Some of the vendors mentioned in the report are BASF, Amcor Limited, Landec Corporation, Bemis, Rexam Plc and Sonoco.
Changing lifestyle of people, demand for packaging solutions with longer sustainability, demand for fresh and quality food are the major drivers for the growth of this market. Further, increase in counterfeit products in developing countries has also compelled companies to use technologies like RFID during packaging.
Issues regarding the effect of packaging materials on the human body, security and privacy issues in case of intelligent packaging systems are expected to be major challenges for the market’s growth over the next five years.
Reasons to buy this report
- The report gives complete market insights, the driving forces of the market, the challenges market faces, about different active and intelligent packaging technologies and their applications.
- It gives market trends by type of active and intelligent packaging technology and by applications.
- A complete market breakdown has been done by Latin American countries to give a detailed picture of the market in that particular region.
- The report also gives information on major vendors of active and intelligent packaging products, their existing share in the market, strategies they adopt along with the major products, financials, recent developments and profile of these vendors.
Who should buy this report?
- Vendors who are into manufacturing of these products as they can get an overview of what competitors are doing and also which markets they can look forward to expanding their operations.
- Processed food suppliers in need of better understanding of different technologies and products.
- Investors who are willing to invest in this market.
- Consultants who can have readymade analysis to guide their clients.
- Anyone who wishes to know more about this market.
1.1 Key Findings
1.2 Research Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Factors Driving the Market
3.2.1 Longer Shelf Life and Changing Lifestyle of People
3.2.2 Growing Demand for Fresh and Quality Foods
3.2.3 Demand for Longer and Sustainable Packaging Products
3.2.4 Counterfeit Products in Developing Countries is Driving Intelligent Packaging Market
3.3 Factors Restraining the Market
3.3.1 Issues with the Packaging Material Effect on Human Body
3.3.2 Security and Privacy Issues in Case of Intelligent Packaging Systems
3.4 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
3.5 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
3.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products or Services
3.5.5 Competitive Rivalry among Existing Competitors
4. Technology Overview
4.1 Technology Snapshot
4.2 Industry Applications
4.3 Different Types of Active Packaging Available in Market
4.3.1 Pure Absorbers
4.3.2 Oxygen Scavengers
4.3.3 Microwave Susceptors
4.3.4 Moisture/Humidity Absorbers
4.3.5 Odor Absorbers/Emmiters
4.3.6 Anti-Microbiological Packaging
4.4 Different Types of Intelligent Packaging Available in Market
4.4.1 Shelf Life Sensing
4.4.2 Temperature Indicators
5. Latin American Active and Intelligent Packaging Market Forecast, Trends and Share by Applications
5.2 Frozen Food
5.2.1 Market Share and Forecast
5.2.2 Analyst View
5.3 Packaged Foods
5.3.1 Market Share and Forecast
5.3.2 Analyst View
5.4 Dairy Products
5.4.1 Market Share and Forecast
5.4.2 Analyst View
5.5.1 Market Share and Forecast
5.5.2 Analyst View
6. Latin American Active Packaging Market Forecast, Trends and Share by Technology Type
6.1 Pure Absorbers
6.1.1 Market Share and Forecast
6.2 Oxygen Scavengers
6.2.1 Market Share and Forecast
6.3 Microwave Susceptors
6.3.1 Market Share and Forecast
6.4 Moisture/Humidity Absorbers
6.4.1 Market Share and Forecast
6.5 Odor Absorbers/Emmiters
6.5.1 Market Share and Forecast
6.6 Anti-Microbiological Packaging
6.6.1 Market Share and Forecast
6.7.1 Market Share and Forecast
7. Latin American Intelligent Packaging Market Forecast, Trends and Share by Technology Type
7.1 Shelf Life Sensing
7.1.1 Market Share and Forecast
7.2 Temperature Indicators
7.2.1 Market Share and Forecast
7.3.1 Market Share and Forecast
7.4.1 Market Share and Forecast
8. Latin America Active and Intelligent Packaging Market Forecast, Trends and Share by Country
8.1 Latin America
8.1.4 Analyst View
9. Active Packaging Vendor Market Share
10. Intelligent Packaging Vendor Market Share
11. Company Profiles of Active and Intelligent Packaging Vendors
11.1 BASF SE
11.1.2 Major Products and Services
11.1.4 Recent Developments
11.2 Amcor Limited
11.2.2 Major Products and Services
11.2.4 Recent Developments
11.3.2 Major Products and Services
11.3.4 Recent Developments
11.4 Landec Corporation
11.4.2 Major Products and Services
11.4.4 Recent Developments
11.5 Bemis Company, Inc.
11.5.2 Major Products and Services
11.5.4 Recent Developments
11.6 Crown Holdings
11.6.2 Major Products and Services
11.6.4 Recent Developments
11.7 Rexam Plc
11.7.2 Major Products and Services
11.7.4 Recent Developments
11.8.2 Major Products and Services
11.8.4 Recent Developments
11.9 Graphic Packaging
11.9.2 Major Products and Services
11.9.4 Recent Developments
11.10 Timestrip UK Ltd
11.10.2 Major Products and Services
11.10.4 Recent Developments
11.11 VIP Packaging
11.11.2 Major Products and Services
11.11.4 Recent Developments
11.12 Intelligent Packaging Solutions Ltd.
11.12.2 Major Products and Services
11.12.4 Recent Developments
11.13 Desiccare, Inc.
11.13.2 Major Products and Services
11.13.4 Recent Developments
11.14 Freshpoint Holdings
11.14.2 Major Products and Services
11.14.4 Recent Developments
11.15 MeadWestvaco Corporation
11.14.2 Major Products and Services
11.15.4 Recent Developments
12. Investment Analysis
12.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
12.2 Investor Outlook
13. Future of Latin America Active and Intelligent Packaging Market
14. List of Figures
15. List of Tables
17. Works Cited Disclaimer