|Study Period:||2018- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The geothermal energy market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 3% during the forecast period of 2021-2026. The outbreak of COVID-19 is expected to significantly impact the global geothermal energy market due to disruption in the international supply chain and a reduction in investment for the upcoming projects. Although annual additions correspond to the driven market, some projects are expected to be delayed due to COVID-19 related lockdown measures. Increasing electricity security concerns owing to clean and eco-friendly resources are driving the growth of the geothermal energy market. In addition, increasing demand for heating and cooling systems, including ground source heat pumps and district heating, are estimated to fuel the growth of the geothermal energy market. However, the lucrative market for alternative clean energy sources like solar and wind is likely to hinder the market growth during the forecast period.
- The binary cycle power plant segment is likely to witness significant demand, as they can be operated at low-temperature reservoirs (200°F to 330°F).
- Government-undertaken initiatives such as financial benefits and tax refunds to promote sustainable energy production are estimated to generate numerous growth opportunities for the geothermal energy market over the upcoming years.
- North America is expected to be the largest market during the forecast period, with the majority of the demand coming from countries like United States, Mexico, etc.
Scope of the Report
The geothermal energy market report includes:
|Dry Steam Plants|
|Flash Steam Plants|
|Binary Cycle Power Plants|
|Middle-East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Binary Cycle Power Plants Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- In binary cycle power plants, the water or steam below the earth never comes in direct contact with the turbines. Instead, water from geothermal reservoirs is pumped through a heat exchanger where it heats a second liquid-like isobutene (which boils at a lower temperature than water).
- This second liquid is heated into steam, which powers the turbines that drives a generator. The hot water from the earth is recycled into the earth through the injection well, and the second liquid is recycled through the turbine and back into the heat exchanger where it can be used again.
- Moreover, out of 2,558 MW of geothermal power plant capacity operating in the United States,1,826 MW capacity is from steam-powered plants, and 731 MW of capacity is from binary cycle powered plants. However, according to the United States Energy Information Administration (EIA), in August 2020, geothermal power technology was shifted from steam to binary cycle. The reason for the shift from steam to binary-cycle power may be a matter of flexibility.
- The United States currently has 93 binary-cycle generators averaging 8 MW of capacity each and 79 steam generators averaging 23 MW each. Dry-steam and flash plants, which require rarer, high-temperature, shallow reservoirs, produce higher power output and are, therefore, more economically efficient than binary plants. However, because binary plants can operate at reservoirs with lower temperatures, they offer more options for suitable locations.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, the binary cycle power plants segment is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America is one of the leading markets for geothermal energy across the globe, with the United States leading the regional and global market in terms of installed capacity.
- Most of the geothermal power plants in the United States are in western states and the island state of Hawaii, where geothermal energy resources are close to the earth's surface. California generates the most electricity from geothermal energy, where the Geysers dry steam reservoir in Northern California is the largest known dry steam field in the world.
- According to EIA, as of 2019, California (30) has the highest number of geothermal power plants, followed by Nevada (23), Utah (3), Idaho, Hawai, New Mexico, and Oregon.
- Geothermal power is generated primarily in California (2,683 MWe) and Nevada (795 MWe), with the remaining energy coming from power plants in Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Oregon, and Utah. Exploration has been conducted in seven other western and southern states, but no new power plants have been built or begun.
- Furthermore, it is expected that there are 1,748 geothermal wells in the United States, most of which are in California. There are 414 active producing steam wells in California, which holds over 95% of the steam wells in the United States.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, North America is expected to dominate the global geothermal energy market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The geothermal energy market is fragmented. Some of the major players include Mitsubishi Power Ltd, Ormat Technologies Inc., Engie SA, Tetra Tech Inc., and First Gen Corporation.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) is likely to carry out the first Geothermal Field Development Project in Ladakh, India. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed by the ONGC Energy Centre (OEC) with Ladakh and the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh, on 6th February 2021.
- In April 2020, early civil works for the construction of a combined geothermal heat and power plant in Kirchanschöring, Germany had started. The excavators started digging large trenches preparing for water pipes, sewage, electricity, and internet.
- In November 2020, Thermax, the Pune-based capital goods manufacturer, is likely to partner with Icelandic firm Reykjavík Geothermal to set up a geothermal power project in India. A 3 MW pilot project is slated to be set up in Puga Valley in Ladakh, which is likely to be the first such project in the country.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Geothermal Energy Installed Capacity and Forecast in MW, till 2026
4.3 Geothermal Energy Investments in USD billion, Global, 2005-2019
4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Plant Type
5.1.1 Dry Steam Plants
5.1.2 Flash Steam Plants
5.1.3 Binary Cycle Power Plants
5.2.1 North America
5.2.4 South America
5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Geothermal Power Plant Equipment Manufacturers
18.104.22.168 Toshiba Corporation
22.214.171.124 Ansaldo Energia SpA
126.96.36.199 Fuji Electric Co. Ltd
188.8.131.52 Baker Hughes Company
184.108.40.206 Doosan Škoda Power
6.3.2 Geothermal Power Plant EPC Companies and Operators
220.127.116.11 Mitsubishi Power Ltd
18.104.22.168 Ormat Technologies Inc.
22.214.171.124 Kenya Electricity Generating Company (KenGen)
126.96.36.199 Sosian Energy Limited
188.8.131.52 Tetra Tech Inc.
184.108.40.206 Engie SA
220.127.116.11 First Gen Corporation
18.104.22.168 PT Pertamina Geothermal Energy
22.214.171.124 Enel SpA
126.96.36.199 Aboitiz Power Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Geothermal Energy Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Geothermal Energy Market?
The Geothermal Energy Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Geothermal Energy Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Geothermal Energy Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Geothermal Energy Market?
Mitsubishi Power, Ltd. , Ormat Technologies, Inc. , Engie SA, Tetra Tech, Inc., First Gen Corporation are the major companies operating in Geothermal Energy Market.