|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The flame retardant chemicals market size was estimated at around USD 7.5 billion in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Due to the pandemic scenario, the construction and automotive manufacturing works were on a temporary halt during the government-imposed lockdown, which negatively impacted the demand for respective flame retardants. However, the construction industry is recovering fast and is estimated to rise in the coming years, which will stimulate the demand for the flame retardant chemical market.
- Over the short term, increasing infrastructure activities in Asia-pacific, a rise in safety standards in building construction, and rising consumer electrical and electronic goods manufacturing are expected to drive the market’s growth.
- Environmental and health concerns regarding halogenated flame retardants and the non-suitability of hydroxides to high-temperature applications are expected to hinder the market's growth.
- The building and construction segment is expected to dominate the global market and grow during the forecast period due to the increasing construction activities across the world.
- Rising awareness regarding environment-friendly flame retardants is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world due to the high construction activities in the region.
Scope of the Report
Flame retardant chemicals are compounds added to or otherwise incorporated into compounds to slow the spread of fire or to prevent fire, which are mainly used in building and construction materials, electronics and electrical devices, furnishings, and transportation. The flame retardant chemicals market is segmented by product type, end-user industry, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into non-halogenated flame retardant chemicals and halogenated flame retardant chemicals. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into electrical and electronics, buildings and construction, transportation, and textiles and furniture. The report also covers the market size of and forecasts for the flame retardant chemicals market in 18 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Buildings and Construction|
|Textiles and Furniture|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Building and Construction
- Household fires are one of the biggest causes of the loss of human life. Flame retardants are used in building materials and products due to strict fire safety regulations. In buildings, flame retardants are majorly used in structural insulation. Insulations are used in homes and other buildings to maintain a comfortable temperature and to conserve energy.
- Phosphorus-based flame retardants are the most commonly used flame retardants in polyurethane foams, especially liquid substances. Flame retardants used for rigid PU foams are available in three forms: additive liquid flame retardants, reactive liquid flame retardants, and solid flame retardants.
- Various fire standards around the world are driving the market for flame retardants. In Europe, all materials for building and construction (including rigid PU foams) have to meet the fire requirements according to EN 13501. Building materials in the United States have to be tested according to ASTM E 84.
- In 2019, the total value of new construction put in place was about USD 1365 billion in the United States and reached about USD 1429 billion in 2020, with a growth rate of about 4.5%, which, in turn, increases the demand in the flame retardant chemicals market.
- The pace of growth in the global construction industry is expected to increase during the coming years in regions such as Middle-East and Africa. This reflects the huge investment in building and infrastructure that is taking place in Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to significantly impact the flame retardant market in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share. Flame retardant chemicals are extensively used in the construction sector in developing insulation, structural elements, cables, and electrical wires.
- They form an integral part of the construction sector. They aid in increasing the threshold temperature of the material at which it catches fire, reducing the rate of spreading of fire and providing the critical escape time required to escape from the surroundings.
- China was leading in the construction industry with market size of USD 1092.9 billion in the year 2019, registering a growth rate of 14.71% compared to the previous year.
- Furthermore, the total new construction in Japan was accounted for about 127.55 million square meters in 2019 and reached about 113.74 million square meters in 2020, with a decline rate of about 10.5%, thus led to a decrease in consumption of flame retardant chemicals used in the construction materials.
- In transportation, flame retardants are used in interior parts, seats, cables, electronic connections, and various textiles. As of Q3 2019, China had produced 18.17 million vehicles and reached 16.96 million vehicles by Q3 2020, registering a decline rate of about 6.66%, which, in turn, negatively impacts the demand for the regional flame retardant chemicals market.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to impact the market in the coming years significantly.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The flame retardant chemicals market is a consolidated market, with the top five players accounting for a significant share in the market studied. The major companies include ICL Group, LANXESS, J.M. Huber Corporation, Albemarle Corporation, and Jiangsu Jacques Technology Co. Ltd, among others.
- In June 2020, Tosoh Corporation planned to expand its bromine production capacity by 30% for use in flame retardants and other applications at its Nanyo Complex in the Shunan City of Japan, and it is expected to be completed by January 2023, which will help the company to expand its business and strengthen its profitability.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Infrastructure Activities in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Rise in Safety Standards in Building Construction
4.1.3 Rising Consumer Electrical and Electronic Goods Manufacturing
4.2.1 Environmental and Health Concerns Regarding Brominated and Halogenated Flame Retardants
4.2.2 Non-Suitability of Hydroxides to High-Temperature Applications
4.2.3 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to the Impact of COVID-19
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Price Analysis
4.6 Regulatory Policy Analysis
4.7 Raw Material Analysis
4.8 Technical Snapshot
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Non-halogenated Flame Retardant Chemicals
188.8.131.52.1 Aluminum Hydroxide
184.108.40.206.2 Magnesium Hydroxide
220.127.116.11.3 Boron Compounds
18.104.22.168 Other Product Types
5.1.2 Halogenated Flame Retardants Chemicals
22.214.171.124 Brominated Compounds
126.96.36.199 Chlorinated Compounds
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Electrical and Electronics
5.2.2 Buildings and Construction
5.2.4 Textiles and Furniture
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Australia and New Zealand
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 Rest of North America
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Albemarle Corporation
6.4.2 Apexical Inc.
6.4.3 BASF SE
6.4.5 DAIHACHI CHEMICAL INDUSTRY CO. LTD
6.4.6 DIC CORPORATION
6.4.8 Eti Maden
6.4.9 ICL Group
6.4.10 Italmatch Chemicals SpA
6.4.11 J.M. Huber Corporation
6.4.12 Jiangsu Jacques Technology Co. Ltd
6.4.15 MPI Chemie BV
6.4.16 Nabaltec AG
6.4.17 Nyacol Nano Technologies Inc.
6.4.18 RIN KAGAKU KOGYO Co. Ltd
6.4.19 RTP Company
6.4.20 Sanwa Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.21 Shandong Brother Sci. &Tech. Co. Ltd
6.4.23 Tor Minerals International Inc.
6.4.24 Tosoh Corporation
6.4.25 UFP Industries Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Rising Awareness Regarding Environment-Friendly Flame Retardants
7.2 Active R&D into Non-Halogenated Flame Retardants
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Flame Retardant Chemicals Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Flame Retardant Chemicals Market?
The Flame Retardant Chemicals Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Flame Retardant Chemicals Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Flame Retardant Chemicals Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Flame Retardant Chemicals Market?
ICL Group, LANXESS, J.M. Huber Corporation, Albemarle Corporation, Jiangsu Jacques Technology Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in Flame Retardant Chemicals Market.