Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
TheEurope Active and Intelligent Packaging market are expected to register a CAGR of 6.0% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). With the recent COVID 19, the active and intelligent packaging manufacturers were flooded with a pool of issues that are expected to only last for the short term. Some of the lockdown effects include supply chain disruptions, lack of availability of raw materials used in the manufacturing process, labor shortages, fluctuating prices that could cause the final product's production to inflate and go beyond budget, and shipping problems.
- The European pig meat production is expected to increase by 0.5% in 2020, helped by favorable prices and solid export prospects, especially to China, after the African Swine Fever epidemic in the country. However, sheep and goat meat production are projected to decline by 1.5% in 2020 with lower food service and home consumption, particularly the loss of the Easter and Ramadan celebrations, due to the lockdowns and supply shortages due to logistical issues.
- An intelligent packaging system contains small smart devices, inexpensive labels or tags capable of acquiring, storing, and transferring information about the food's parameters, functions, and properties contained inside the package.
- According to the European Union Guidance to the Commission Regulation (EUGCR) No. 450/ 2009 (EU, 2009) description, active packaging is a type of food packaging that is enabled with the extra function of providing a protective barrier against external influence.
- This rise in the demand for fresh foods, particularly in developing countries, significantly contributed to the need for oxygen scavengers. They react with the oxygen in the package and protect the product from degradative oxidation reactions, keeping them fresh.
Scope of the report
Active and intelligent packaging involves the use of permitted additives in packaging films, or within packaging containers, for the maintenance and extension of product shelf life. Active packaging allows packages to interact with food and the environment and plays a dynamic role in food preservation. The Europe Active and Intelligent Packaging Market is Segmented by Type (Active Packaging, Intelligent Packaging), by End-User Vertical (Food, Beverage, Healthcare, Personal Care), and by Country.
|By End-user Vertical|
|Other End-user Verticals|
|Rest of Europe|
Key Market Trends
Pharmaceutical is Observing a Significant Growth
- In Germany, healthcare device packaging is experiencing growth as hospitals are concentrating more on sterile and disinfected packaging of medical devices due to a rise in viral infections and various stringent government safety regulations.
- According to Statistisches Bundesamt, the industry revenue of packaging activities in Germany is expected to reach USD 3,849 million in 2023 from USD 3,226.4 million in 2011. As nearly half of all the German packaging activities cater to the domestic demand, such revenue improvements in the packaging activities prompt the increased activity in the German packaging industry, boosting the studied market growth.
- Apart from retail and e-commerce, the United Kingdom pharmaceutical industry also offers various market opportunities. For instance, according to the Office of National Statistics (UK), the consumer spending on pharmaceutical products was GBP 10,737 million in 2020 as compared to GBP 9,888 million in 2018 which was significant growth.
- Also, the Netherland is home to a steadily growing pharmaceuticals industry which offers growing opportunities for co-packers. For example, according to Eurostat, the industry revenue of 'manufacture of pharmaceutical preparation' in the country during 2018 stood at USD 49.17 billion and is expected to reach USD 51.7 billion by 2020, maintaining steady growth.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United Kingdom is Observing a Notable Growth
- With an increasing number of consumers of multiple medicines, the pressure on NHS to track the drug delivery, and that they are used before the expiration, and the vaccines reach in the designated environment is high. This is further increasing the expectations on this sector to use technologies, such as intelligent packaging.
- The country observed an increase in meat export in the last few months, which is bolstering the growth of active packaging. According to the recent statistics published by HMRC, the country’s lamb exports to Switzerland increased over 200% in the first six months of 2020 compared to last year.
- Despite reassurances from the UK's Prime Minister in the first week of September 2020, that the country is ready for any eventuality, many key issues remain unresolved. Brexit contingency preparations are proceeding at a snail’s pace and the UK Government’s "Brexit Report Card" to date reveals will weaken the export system that is about to become massively overloaded. Unless a number of key issues are urgently addressed, GBP 1.2 billion worth of annual meat exports will be at risk, along with thousands of jobs in the meat and livestock sector. This will pose a threat to the country’s active packaging ecosystem for the coming years.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, nations across the world witnessed lockdown restrictions, which led to panic buying. This imposed a massive pressure on the FMCG companies to adopt flexible packaging solutions, as the food companies increasingly witnessed an inclination toward pre-packaged food in smaller, consumer-sized packaging.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Europe Active and Intelligent Packaging market are moderately consolidated, with a few major companies like BASF SE, Amcor Ltd, Honeywell International Inc., Landec Corporation, Bemis Company Inc., Crown Holdings Inc.Ball Corporation, Timestrip UK Ltd are some players. The companies are continuously investing in making strategic partnerships and product developments to gain more market share. Some of the recent developments in the market are:
- May 2021 - A new thermoforming packaging solution has been developed by Sealed Air. When compared to commonly used laminates, Sealed Air claims that the new CRYOVAC brand LID830R is a thin, high abuse resistance, anti-fog top lid film that can reduce packing weight by up to 50%.
- August 2021 - One of the prominent Korean chemical manufacturers, LOTTE Chemical, used BASF's Irgastab, a non-discoloring processing stabilizer, to generate the polypropylene (PP) required for medical purposes. With the global rollout of COVID-19 immunizations, the need for PP-based syringes has increased exponentially.
- May 2021 - Four04 Packaging Ltd was identified as an ideal partner for Coveris' strategic growth plans through a continuous market screening procedure. Packaging for fresh food and fruit, as well as bread, is a specialty of the company. It offers a product portfolio that ideally complements Coveris' existing product lines in these markets.
- August 2021 - Amcor, one of the global pioneers in developing and producing a diverse range of reliable packaging solutions, today announced the debut of a proprietary healthcare lidding technology that will be used for combination products containing two or more regulated components (device, drug, or biologic). Amcor's most recent invention is based on patented inert film development and laminate design. It offers a lidding solution that can endure heat sterilization, which conserves and sterilizes products while preventing drug uptake into the package.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Longer Shelf Life and Changing Consumer Lifestyle
4.4.2 Growing Demand for Fresh and Quality Food Products
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 Issues with the Effects of Packaging Materials on the Human Body
4.5.2 Security and Privacy Issues in the Case of Intelligent Packaging
5. IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE MARKET
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.1.1 Active Packaging
188.8.131.52 Gas Scavengers/Emitters
184.108.40.206 Moisture Scavenger
220.127.116.11 Microwave Susceptors
18.104.22.168 Other Active Packaging Technologies
6.1.2 Intelligent Packaging
22.214.171.124 Coding and Markings
126.96.36.199 Antenna (RFID and NFC)
188.8.131.52 Sensors and Output Devices
184.108.40.206 Other Intelligent Packaging Technologies
6.2 By End-user Vertical
6.2.4 Personal Care
6.2.5 Other End-user Verticals
6.3 By Country
6.3.1 United Kingdom
6.3.4 Rest of Europe
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 BASF SE
7.1.2 Amcor Ltd
7.1.3 Honeywell International Inc.
7.1.4 Landec Corporation
7.1.5 Bemis Company Inc.
7.1.6 Crown Holdings Inc.
7.1.7 Ball Corporation
7.1.8 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.9 Graphic Packaging International LLC
7.1.10 Timestrip UK Ltd
7.1.11 Coveris Holdings SA
7.1.12 Sealed Air Corporation
7.1.13 Dessicare Inc.
7.1.14 WestRock Company
8. INVESTMENT ANLAYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Active and Intelligent Packaging Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Europe Active and Intelligent Packaging Market?
The Europe Active and Intelligent Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Active and Intelligent Packaging Market?
BASF SE, Amcor Ltd, Honeywell International Inc, Landec Corporation, Graphic Packaging International LLC are the major companies operating in Europe Active and Intelligent Packaging Market.