|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
- Technical development and sophistication of reading devices that provide a similar experience to reading an actual book are the key factors driving the global e-book market. The rising adoption of smartphones and multilingual features of e-books is an advantage that is expected to drive the global demand for e-books.
- The easy access for a wide range of e-book libraries through an application or online services is being consumed over the internet, thus emerging as low-cost alternatives to the traditional delivery method. Services available for these e-books, such as e-lending, have also supported the adoption of e-book across the world.
- Furthermore, the environmental protection campaigns from governments across the globe, especially for saving trees to reduce the use of paper, also increases the demand for e-books.
- The publishers being subjected to IP infringement cases by content providers is restraining the growth of the market. For instance, in June 2020, four major book publishers filed suits against the Internet Archive, owing to copyright violations relating to their open library project. Various publishers such as Hachette, Penguin Random House, Wiley, and HarperCollins have filed a suit against Internet Archive.
- An increase in overall reader engagement was observed with people across the world being locked down in their homes, switching to e-books for entertainment. As the physical books became sidelined initially due to closed bookstores and shipping delays from online retailers, eBook sales surged as readers turned to convenient and immediate delivery.
Scope of the Report
The study involves the country-level analysis of the main regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa.
Key Market Trends
Increased Use of Electronic Devices
- The rise in the number of portable readable devices such as smartphones and tablets is anticipated to be the primary growth factor for the global e-book market. Consumers prefer e-books over books due to the fragility of books to wear and tear the need for adequate care, and high cost.
- The digitization of books and their accessibility over the internet is expected to create an innovative environment to offer a real-time experience for readers. Furthermore, the conversion of comic books into digital materials by popular publishers such as Marvel and DC is also expected to allow people to explore e-reading. The American Library Association (ALA) had announced that every book of their rooster would be made available in a digital format at the latest to reduce wastage.
- The increasing influence of technology coupled with the inclination toward digitization by a substantial populace, mostly among the millennial and generation Z category, may positively influence the growth of the e-book market.
- Systems such as digital education and immersive learning are also expected to drive the market's growth. The introduction of the latest hardware, software, and educational content is expected to create an immersive environment to provide readers with a real-time experience.
- This also acts as a low-cost alternative to the traditional distribution method and enables easy access to a wide variety of e-book libraries through applications or services. In addition, the resources available for the e-books, such as lending electronically, have also increased the growth of the e-book market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Dominates the Market
- Ebooks in North America came early as a natural and permanent choice over printed books for consumers when they want speedy access and portability. Publishers have also rapidly responded to consumers' fast-growing acceptance of new reading devices by constantly redefining and expanding new concepts of books.
- Ebooks in North America had become a normal and permanent option over printed books for customers when they needed easy access and portability. Consumers' have shown a good rate of acceptance of new reading technologies by continuously expanding.
- There is also an increase in ownership of tablet computers and ebook reading devices, such as the original Kindles, during the gift-giving season. And the improving content mobility has led to cost-cutting by better accessibility and distribution of books in wider target end-users.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The e-book market is fragmented with many independent authors and publishers, while certain players account for a majority share in the market. Amazon's KDP and Apple's iBooks Author, among others, hold a dominant share in the e-books market. Key players in the market adopt strategies such as joint ventures and partnerships with small and regional publishers to gain higher market shares.
- June 2020 - Amazon offered two free months of Kindle Unlimited when someone signed up for the service. Kindle Unlimited is Amazon's subscription service with a collection of more than one million books, as well as select magazines such as Time and National Geographic and Audible narration on select titles.
- May 2020 - Katha, an Indian organization producing children's books since 1988, partnered with Kindle and made its 15 books available on the digital platform. Using engaging visuals and imaginative narrations, Katha's children's books offer ways of exploring similarities and differences existing in the world.
- September 2021 – Amazon has launched the next generation of Kindle Paperwhite with three new models: the all-new Kindle Paperwhite, the first-ever Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, and a brand-new Kindle Paperwhite Kids. These new-generation devices come with better hardware, faster performance, and a redesigned user interface for a more enjoyable reading experience for the users.
- October 2021 - OverDrive Education has acquired TeachingBooks for its Sora reading app and platform to serve K-12 schools worldwide. TeachingBooks is a company that provides K-12 schools with curated materials from trusted educational sources and also its proprietary content.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. MARKET DYNAMICS
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
3.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
3.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
3.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
3.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
3.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
3.5 Market Drivers
3.5.1 Increasing Penetration of Mobile Devices
3.5.2 Decreasing Cost of E-books
3.6 Market Restraints
3.6.1 Privacy and Copyright Issue among E-sellers and Book Writers
4. Regional Analysis
4.1 North America
4.1.1 United States
4.2.2 United Kingdom
4.2.6 Rest of Europe (Sweden, Denmark)
4.3 Asia Pacific
4.3.4 Rest of Asia Pacific (Australia, South Korea, Singapore)
4.4 Latin America
4.5 Middle East and Africa
5. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
5.1 Company Profiles
5.1.1 Amazon.com Inc.
5.1.2 Rakuten Kobo Inc.
5.1.3 Apple Inc.
5.1.4 Barnes and Noble LLC
5.1.5 Smashwords Inc.
5.1.6 Blurb Inc.
5.1.7 BookBaby (DIY Media Group Inc.)
5.1.8 Lulu Press Inc.
5.1.9 Macmillan Publishers Ltd
5.1.10 Scribd Inc.
6. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
7. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The E-book Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of E-book Market?
The E-book Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.62% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in E-book Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in E-book Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in E-book Market?
Amazon.com, Inc., Rakuten Kobo Inc., Apple Inc., Barnes & Noble, Inc., Smashwords Inc. are the major companies operating in E-book Market.