The global automotive carbon fiber composites market is expected to register a CAGR close to 15% during 2018 to 2023 (the forecast period). Carbon fiber composites are lightweight and high-strength that can be designed for enhanced performance in automotive applications. They offer improvement in structural, functional, or cosmetic properties. To make vehicles lighter, cleaner, safer and more cost-effective, the leading carbon fiber composites suppliers are responding to the needs and expectations of the vehicle OEMs, system suppliers, and customers. Many car companies, such as BMW, Audi, and GM, have established agreements with carbon fiber composite material producers for mass production, and are investing in their processes to support low-cost carbon fiber composites manufacturing. BMW uses carbon fiber in its “i” series and achieved success to reduce the 250-350 kilograms (550-770 pounds) weight of the car and increased the fuel efficiency. The demand for these cars is projected to continue increasing in the forecast period. Apple is planning to adopt BMW i3’s carbon fiber body for its future electric car. Moreover, the average costs of lightweight carbon fiber parts today is USD 120-130/kg; 25-30% of this estimate accounts for materials, with the remainder (70-75%) for manufacturing. Many leading research institutes, carbon fiber manufacturers, and OEMs are working to reduce the cycle time and raw material costs for mass production of lightweight vehicles.
Among applications, the exterior segment is expected to lead the market of automotive composites in terms of value and volume. The growth of this segment of the market can be attributed to the increased demand for automotive composites to manufacture several exterior parts, such as fenders, hoods, bumper beams, and deck lids of vehicles. The automotive composites are used to manufacture the exterior parts of vehicles, as they result in their increased strength and lightweight. They also increase the durability of vehicles, thereby ensuring their long life cycles and low maintenance costs. The exterior parts of vehicles manufactured from composites offer high stiffness, thereby, resulting in minimum damages in case of accidents.
Source: Mordor Intelligence Analysis
Key Developments in the Market
- February 2018: Toho Tenax Launched high-tensile, highly shock-resistant hybrid prepreg combining carbon fiber and CNT technology.
- January 2018: Toray planned to expand production facilities for Ultrasuede®.
- November 2017: ADEKA Corporation and GH Craft developed world's first fiber-to-composite direct molding process.
Major players: ACP Composites, Clear Water Composites LLC, Formtech Composites, Hexcel Corporation, Mitsubishi Chemical Carbon Fiber and Composites, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Detailed analysis on the product type that is expected to dominate the market
- Detailed analysis on the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your need.
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 General Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
2.2 Analysis Methodology
2.3 Study Assumptions
2.4 Econometric Forecast model
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Overview and Technology Trends
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Technology Trends
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of the Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.3.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Demand for Fuel Efficient Vehicle
5.2.1 Sophisticated Repair Techniques
5.2.2 High Cost of Carbon Fiber Composites
5.3.1 Penetration of Composites in Different Components of Vehicle
6. Global Automotive Carbon Fiber Composites, Segmented By Application Type
6.1 Structural Assembly
6.2 Power Train Components
7. Global Automotive Carbon Fiber Composites, Segmented By Geography
7.1 North America
7.1.1 The Unites States
7.3.2 United Kingdom
7.4 Rest of the World
7.4.2 South Africa
8. Competitive Landscape
8.2 Market Share Analysis
9. Company Profiles
9.1 ACP Composites